Local 2829: Statewide with Pride

September 2013 membership Meeting Minutes

AFSCME COUNCIL 5 – September 25, 2013

President Kevin Norbie called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, September 28, 2013. All Local Executive Board Members were present in person or via telephone. Attendees: Eric Mattson, Mike Nelson, Theresa St. Aoro, Christi Nelson, Chad Olson, Kristin Kirchoff, Mel Preczewski, Julie Tinkham, Pam Tedora, and Kevin Norbie. Excused: Bill Smith, Roberta Suski, Kristin Dennis, Duane Gatzke, and Debbie Cooper.


Motion made by M. Nelson, seconded, and carried to accept the August 2013 minutes, as amended. The amendments to the August 2013 minutes were adding Julie Tinkham to the list of Council 5 Convention delegates, and adding the words “associated software and hardware” to the motion for the purchase of two laptops.


The August 2013 Financial Reports were distributed and summarized by Mattson. Motion made by Mattson, seconded, and carried to accept the Balance Sheet and Revenues and Expenses Report of August 2013. Motion made by Mattson, seconded, and carried to accept the Register Report of August 2013, subject to audit.


Norbie discussed the following:
Site meeting at Camp Ripley. Norbie, Mattson, and Preczewski attended and it went well.
Council 5 has a job posting for a Data Specialist.


Kirchoff reviewed the following from the Executive Board Meeting:
Check-in of goals for the next 12 months.
Election Review Committee scope and term.
Lost time for volunteering at the State Fair. Referred to the budget meeting in November.
Regional PCA issue. Will be discussed at meet and confer with St. Aoro and PCA HR Director.


St. Aoro discussed the following:
PCA meet and confer to be set up after the October 9th quarterly at the PCA.
Issue at Racing Commission regarding seasonal employees not being offered benefits. This is resolved.
Investigatory meeting at Racing Commission.
Concerns about reclassification at the Architecture Board at the Capitol.
Steward’s meeting following the Council 5 Convention.
Thank you to everyone who helped her during her time dealing with a health scare.

M. Nelson discussed the flex-time scheduling issue at Tourism.

Preczewski inquired about the status of the PCA power outage arbitration. C. Nelson will check into it.

Kirchoff inquired about the status of the PCA shutdown arbitration. C. Nelson will check into it.

Military Affairs:
Olson had nothing new to report for Military Affairs.


C. Nelson discussed the following:
State contract approved on September 20th. Back pay/pay increase should be reflected on the October 18th paycheck.
Council 5 Convention coming up. Food shelf donations will be accepted at the convention. No policy committees will meet unless the policy committee sets it up themselves.
Council 5 Convention workshops. If you haven’t signed up, do so first thing on Thursday, October 3rd.
Pay inequities are effective today, September 25th.
Rally on September 30th at noon at the Hennepin County Government Center in support of Hennepin County’s contract negotiations. Billy Bragg will be performing at the rally.


M. Nelson reported the following:
Review of convention resolutions will be the Wednesday night (October 2nd) before the convention convenes on Thursday, October 3rd.
Convention preparation.
Received great reviews of the 1st Labor Ball.
Labor History exhibit at the convention. Will be available to locals on a traveling basis.
Blair Francis’ comic work will be highlighted at the convention.
St. Louis County contract settlement.


St. Paul RLF:
St. Aoro reported the following:
Endorsed five school levies.
Minimum wage and difficulty in legislature.
Oktoberfest and Wall of Beer fundraiser on October 9th. Need to raise money for the LCRC (Emergency Fund). $10 per ticket for a chance to win the Wall of Beer. Encourage people to attend.

Election Review Committee:
First meeting is tonight following the membership meeting.


St. Aoro reported that the conference was great and highlighted the community action, which was a clean-up effort by the conference attendees in different areas of Denver. Denver has a high homeless population, and the community action focused on some of the identified poverty-stricken areas.

Preczewski noted that we need more community involvement here in Minnesota, like the community action in Denver. Preczewski also noted that there was a great labor history theater production during one of the plenary sessions.


Norbie discussed the Council 5 Convention, and the need for the local banner. It is currently missing and it needs to be found for the convention.

St. Aoro offered a ride to and from the Duluth Convention Center for anyone interested. She has room for three.

St. Aoro was approved to buy Chief Steward/Steward pins and has filled out the form for Mattson to send to AFSCME International with a check for the cost of the pins.


Tinkham discussed the need for stewards to educate members on union background and rights of members. After going through steward training, she learned a lot and sent an email to members at her worksite with union information. She received a lot of good feedback, and realized that members didn’t know what the union is about or what their rights as union members are. She suggests that all stewards do this, and it may encourage fair share members to become full members. She also noted that it may erase some misconceptions that some members have about the union.

St. Aoro discussed paying mileage to attend membership meetings to attract new members to the meetings. Olson noted that there are other avenues, such as teleconference and now Skype, that members have available to them to attend membership meetings. Mattson noted that the GSA has requirements for mileage and that he has to look into them. This discussion is referred to the budget meeting in November.

Tinkham raised questions regarding fair share vs. member dues and a strike fund. Mattson explained that dues are based on a percentage of hourly rate. Nelson discussed the IRS regulations for having a strike fund, but noted that the Local had a hardship fund available during the State shutdown in 2011.

Norbie discussed the contract distribution campaign and ordering contracts for all members. The cost per regular-bound contract is $3, and the cost per spiral-bound contract is $6. Motion made by M. Nelson, seconded, and carried to order 750 regular-bound contracts and 50 spiral-bound contracts for our local membership at the cost of $2,550. The contracts will be delivered in 4-5 weeks from the date of order. The deadline to order is October 18th.


Council 5 Convention – October 3-5
Stewards Meeting – October 5th at 1:00 p.m., following the conclusion of the Council 5 Convention
Steward Training at Brainerd Council 5 Office – October 17th
Local Budget/Planning Meeting – November 15th at 10:00 a.m.
November Local Membership Meeting – November 20th (moved from the week of Thanksgiving)
December Local Membership Meeting – December 18th (moved from the week of Christmas)


Norbie invites all Council 5 Convention delegates to his cabin for a pre-convention BBQ on Wednesday, October 2nd. Feel free to stop in any time after dinner time.

Tedora won the nightly drawing.

Adjourned at 6:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Secretary Kirchoff.


Sign Up
Remember me