Local 2829: Statewide with Pride

May 2015 General Membership Meeting Minutes

AFSCME COUNCIL 5 – May 27, 2015

President Kevin Norbie called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 27, 2015. All Local Executive Board Members were present in person or via telephone. Attendees: Mel Preczewski, Kristin Kirchoff, Eric Mattson, Roberta Suski, Theresa St. Aoro, Joyce Carlson (for Michael LaCoste), and Kevin Norbie. Phone: Kristin Dennis and Julie Tinkham. Excused: Bill Smith.


Motion made by Suski, seconded, and carried to accept the April 2015 minutes.


The April 2015 Financial Reports were distributed and summarized by Mattson. Motion made by Mattson, seconded, and carried to accept the Balance Sheet and Revenues and Expenses Report of April 2015. Motion made by Mattson, seconded, and carried to accept the Register Report of April 2015, subject to audit.


Norbie discussed the following:
Local bills.
Renewal of affiliation with the Minnesota AFL-CIO Retiree Council.
Field Representative position opening at Council 5.
March 2015 Council 5 Executive Board meeting minutes for review.


Kirchoff reviewed the following:
Grievance review.


Military Affairs:
Norbie discussed the following:
Issue at Camp Ripley regarding schedule changes is no longer an issue.
Step 1 grievance denial at Camp Ripley regarding a written reprimand, proceeding to Step 2.

St. Aoro discussed the following:
Step 3 grievance filed at PCA regarding disparate treatment within a work unit.
Issue at Arts Board, referring member to Mattson (located closer to Arts Board).
Not proceeding to Step 3 with a grievance regarding a non-certification at PCA (Dennis contacted the grievant by phone and email three times per type and got no response from the grievant).
Step 3 grievance win at PCA regarding bidding.

Preczewski noted that members at PCA will be delivering the petition regarding the recent meet and confer to the Commissioner soon.

Kirchoff noted that she is checking into whether AFSCME can join a class action grievance with MAPE at Human Rights.

Norbie noted that the Local was not notified of a non-certification at Human Rights. St. Aoro will follow up with the HR for Human Rights.


Carlson discussed the following:
LaCoste scheduled to return on June 8th.
Attended MA supplemental negotiations with Norbie, Kirchoff, and Tom Gavitt. Holiday Pay proposal was rejected by the State, but asked for a 2nd date to present an amended proposal. State presented two proposals, which were rejected.
Governor Dayton vetoed a couple of budgets, and a Special Session will happen to reach an agreement on those budgets, hopefully.
MMB will send out layoff notices on June 1st to the affected employees in case there is a partial shutdown. Jo Pels will be meeting with MMB to negotiate a MOU to preserve members’ benefits, etc. in the event there is a partial shutdown.

St. Aoro asked whether the Local will have a Solidarity Fund for the partial shutdown, similar to the one during the 2011 shutdown. The consensus was to discuss this at the next Local Executive Board meeting.


St. Paul RLF:
St. Aoro discussed the following:
BBQ and big to-do at the June meeting to celebrate the last meeting there.
Endorsed DFL-endorsed candidates for the St. Paul School Board.
Temporary meeting location will be the MMA Building.
New building to open around November 2015.

Minneapolis ALC:
Mattson discussed the following:
2015 History Day Winner Zachary Anderson of South High (guitar performance).
POCUM (People of Color Union Members) meet the 4th Monday of each month at the Minneapolis ALC.
SEIU’s “We Care for Nepal” initiative.
Postal Workers undergoing stressful negotiations.

Council 5 Executive Board:
Mattson discussed the following:
Finance Committee meeting (up 593 members).
Congressional scorecard.
Legislative Director update.
Brief closed-door meeting with Council 5’s attorney (attorney-client privilege invoked).


Carlson will follow up with Pels about an update on the AGO unclassified leave issue.

Carlson noted that she is receiving Seniority Rosters and will scan and email them to Mattson.

Mattson discussed the upcoming Local Audit meeting on June 6th at the Council 5 office in South St. Paul from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The meeting will still take place.

Preczewski noted that she delivered pins and posters to some agencies, and stressed the importance of being visible during contract negotiations.

The membership discussed shifting the Local’s CDs from six-month CDs to twelve-month CDs, on a staggered renewal as they are now. The consensus was to come back to the Local Executive Board with a couple of different plans.


Carlson opened nominations for the Local Officers and Executive Board election. Final nominations will take place at the June Local Membership Meeting.

Nominations for President (1, 2-year term): Kevin Norbie (accepted nomination).
Nominations for Vice President (1, 2-year term): Mel Preczewski (accepted nomination).
Nominations for Secretary (1, 2-year term): Kristin Kirchoff (accepted nomination).
Nominations for Treasurer (1, 2-year term): Eric Mattson (accepted nomination).

Executive Board:
Nominations for Unit 2 (1, 2-year term): No nominations.
Nominations for Unit 3 (1, 2-year term): Bill Smith (accepted nomination by text).
Nominations for Unit 6 (2, 2-year term): Kristin Dennis (pending acceptance of nomination), Roberta Suski (accepted nomination), Julie Tinkham (accepted nomination).
Nominations for Unit 7 (1, 2-year term): Theresa St. Aoro (accepted nomination).

Nominations for Trustee (1, 3-year term): Rachel Parlin (accepted nomination by text).

Local Audit – June 6th at Council 5 office in South St. Paul from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Contract Negotiations – June 15-16.
Steward’s Meeting – June 16th at Council 5 office in South St. Paul.
Contract Negotiations Push Week – June 22-26.
Steward’s Organizing Meeting – June 27th at Council 5 office in South St. Paul.


Deb Charpentier from PCA has a new grandbaby.

Adjourned at 7:15 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Secretary Kirchoff.


Sign Up
Remember me